Home » Business Division » Real Estate » News and Events
News and Events
Steer Clear of Trips and Slips - December 2017
Wet floors, spills and excess clutter can mean disaster for employees on the warehouse or retail floor, causing many every year to suffer lost pay and serious pain. Injuries caused by slips, trips and falls range from sprained or strained muscles and joints to broken bones and head injury. There are several precautions you should take to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Keep floors clean and dry at all times. Wet floors present a slip hazard and can promote the growth of infection-causing microbes like mold, fungi and bacteria.
- Remove all objects and clutter from aisles, exits and passageways.
- In the event that grease or oil spills on the kitchen floor, clean the mess immediately and alert your co-workers of the problem before they accidentally fall.
- Use floor or ceiling electrical plugs for power to avoid runninga cord down a long hallway.
- Display warning signs to alert others of a wet floor.
- Use floor mats while surfaces are drying after cleaning to provide traction.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- In areas prone to slipping (toilet and shower areas), use a no-skid wax product to clean.
- While washing the floor, wear protective footgear to prevent falling.
- Keep an eye out for uneven floors, and fix them or notify someone who can immediately.
- Use strong ladders to reach as opposed to standing on small stools or boxes.
- Stretch out bulging carpets to prevent trips and falls.
- Use the handrails while walking down stairs to prevent slipping or walking too fast.
- Repair broken light fixtures and replace bulbs for adequate visibility.
Always Stay Alert
Adopt a see it, sort it mentality. If younotice any situation that you think could present a slipping, tripping or falling hazard, act immediately to remedy it or notify your supervisor.You could be saving an unsuspecting victim serious pain.